For some people a morning routine can either be a down right drag and for others it’s a highly supportive daily ritual.
If you want to start your day feeling clear headed, focused and positive, creating a morning routine that works for you is key.
Over the last three or so years I’ve experimented with a variety of morning routines and I thought I’d share my current little ritual which is working wonders.
I’ve created my morning routine around the principles shared in Hal Elrod’s best-selling book ‘The Miracle Morning.’
Below I share:
- the simple and effective steps you can incorporate into your morning,
- exactly what I do as a part of my morning routine (watch the video and read below)
- tips and tricks to fully support YOUR morning routine for a happy and productive day.
How often do you wake up feeling either frazzled and overwhelmed or completely drained and uninspired?
Starting your morning with purposeful stillness is the best way to clam your mind and to gain greater clarity around your goals and priorities. The culmination of calming + clarity helps you to create an optimal state of mind which also helps you to be more productive during your day. Winning!
Don’t worry, you don’t have to meditate for 30 minutes and get up at the crack of dawn. Just 5-10 minutes of meditation first up will be enough to clear your mind and set a positive tone for the rest of the day.
While your mind is nice and calm take some time to do a few visualisations. Visualisation or mental rehearsal is where you imagine exactly what you want to achieve or attain and then mentally rehearse what you need to do to achieve it.
You can visualise you working towards your goals and how you will feel when you achieve them; look over your vision board and fuel your inspiration or simply visualise how you want your day to go.
Visualisation is a powerful tool to help overcome limiting beliefs and bad habits, such as procrastination. If it works for the likes of Oprah, Tiger Woods and Tony Robbins, I’m all for it!
3. Journal Writing
If you’re a regular reader of my work you’ll know that I’m a HUGE fan of journal writing.
Getting tactile and scribing your thoughts on paper helps you to get everything out of your head and ‘clear out the cobwebs.’
By taking the time to write in your journal for 5-10 minutes each morning, you can gain valuable insight, come up with new ideas, do some self-reflection, document your successes, practice gratitude and uncover lessons you’ve learned.
If you do this consistently, journal writing will be a fulfilling and powerful component of your morning routine.
If you’re unsure where to start with journaling, read my 3 Simple Journal Writing Tips plus download your FREE cheat sheet ’30 Thought Provoking Journal Prompts To Help Kick Start Your Joy of Journalling!’
Reading/Listening, the fourth step a part of a ‘no-fuss’ morning routine is truly transformative.
Set aside some time, (again it can be just 5-10 minutes) to either read or listen to something inspiring. According to Elrod ‘the key is to learn from the experts – those who have already done what you want to do.’
Essentially you want to model the thoughts and behaviours of successful people you admire and at the same time fuel your fire!
You can grab a self-development book and read a paragraph or chapter that resonates with you or go online and find inspiring blogs that you enjoy.
If reading isn’t your thing you can also listen to uplifting podcasts whilst you eat your breakfast and get ready for the day.
Just find something that helps deepen your knowledge, spurs you on and sets a high vibration for the day ahead.
My 30-Minute ‘No Fuss’ Morning Routine
- Wake up at 7am
- Meditate for 10 minutes – I mix it up between guided mediations from Claire Obeid or a self-guided chakra cleanse I learned from Belinda Davidson (details here – scroll to the bottom)
- Visualise my current monthly goals – 5 minutes
- Journal for about 5-10 minutes which includes writing out my monthly goals, listing down what I’m grateful for, stating my intention for the day/how I want to feel and writing out how I want my day to flow
- Read or listen to something positive – here I kill two birds with one stone. Whilst I eat a yummy and healthy breakfast I either listen to a podcast, still loving Jess Lively and recently started listening to Sarah Jensen. Or I read either a paragraph or chapter of an inspiring book – ‘Light is the New Black’ by Rebecca Campbell is great to flick through. You can find other inspiring book recommendations here and here.
Tips and Tricks for a ‘No’ Fuss Morning Routine
- Each night I write out my to-do list for the following day. This helps me know exactly what I need to work on and allows me to focus on my morning routine
- I don’t look at social media or emails until AFTER my morning routine (often I don’t even look at social media until lunch time). This really helps to centre myself, stay calm and focused
- Although I eat my breakfast whilst reading/listening to a podcast I make sure I savour the experience and I’ve stopped trying to do other tasks at the same time (I don’t tidy up, reply to emails etc whilst eating breakfast).
- Exercise – ideally exercise would be a part of my morning routine, but exercising in the morning here in Hong Kong is difficult and uninspiring (for me that is!). If you love exercising in the morning, PLEASE build this into your morning routine!
- Focus on what works for you! If you only have 15 minutes to spare in the morning, just do what you can and see what steps above work for you
- Don’t get overwhelmed – I know this may not seem like ‘no fuss’ to some, but instead of thinking it’s all too much, start small. Just one or two things that you can implement into your morning and build on that!
Over to you! Tell me in the comments below, how do you start your day and if you have a supportive morning ritual that helps you stay focused, happy and productive!
Also, I’m getting so excited about my new FREE digital product which will help you uncover exactly what you want and need in your life, in just 60 minutes. Say goodbye to overwhelm and a big HELLO to crystal clear clarity!
Pop your name on my ‘Great Mail’ list below to receive your FREE copy as soon as it goes LIVE!